One of my more melancholy poems:
Most days my children bring so much sunshine into my life I’m tempted to put on sunglasses.
Most days I have so many things going on I’m a constant stream of motion.
Most days the love of my friends has me floating on a cloud and I’m overcome with gratitude.
Some days, seemingly out of nowhere, this immense loneliness strikes.
Some days the sadness is brief, and like a passing shadow vanishes quickly.
Some days it lingers, and I cannot shake it, as it begins to consume my thoughts. Continue reading Most Days….
I wrote this after my last major break-up when I was really thinking, what DO I want?!?!
What I Need in a Partner:
Honesty: Don’t expect me to guess what you’re thinking or feeling. If something is bothering you, come to me with it right away in a constructive way so we can handle it and I’ll try to do the same. Also, if you don’t have anything to hide, don’t act like it. Example, acting like your phone is the most prized possession in the house and guarding it with your life, making sure the keyboard is covered whenever you enter your FB password, or just in anyway acting sneaky. Continue reading See….I don’t ask for that much!
Humans spend countless waking hours trying to make sense of it,
trying to learn about it, staying awake at night to worry about it.
They spend absurd amounts of time trying to pacify some guy in the sky
trying to justify that they’re good enough
to be welcomed into some magical place upon death.
Humans ignore, discard, repute, invalidate
numerous facts to keep on believing in what used to explain the unexplainable
which no longer really needs any explaining.
They take books written hundreds or thousands of years ago
and pull from them bits and pieces as irrefutable truth,
say you must do as these books say or else,
ignore all the contradictions within them, say they are written or inspired by God,
therefore they MUST be true, must be right even when they’re wrong.
Use words like “faith” which seems to mean
believing in something when there is no proof of its existence,
or even when there is proof it does not exist.
Its almost like an illness, an addiction, an obsession.
There is so much beauty all around us,
so much goodness, so much to be thankful for, inspired by
yet we need to believe there is something more.
We all know the lifecycle, we have little control over when it ends
yet we think if we pray hard enough we can stop it,
if we live well enough we can conquer it.
Most belief systems espouse goodness and kindness
and we act like if you don’t believe you won’t know those virtues,
yet so many people who believe do such ugly and inhumane things.
Judge, persecute, imprison, torture, go to war, exclude, condemn
all in the name of what’s holy, what your “God” has said.
MY BUCKET LIST
- Raise healthy/well rounded kids (working on it!)
Go kayaking/camping by myself
- Finish my Bachelor’s Degree
- Go Skydiving with Emma on her 18th birthday
- Take a hot-air balloon ride
- Swim with dolphins
Go on a cruise
Go Whale watching
- Visit all 50 states (been to 36 plus D.C. – yes, airports count – but that was only two of them so I guess 34 if you don’t count em! Not counting when I was a baby though since I don’t remember)
- Week long backpacking trip with the kids (did 3 days)
- Disney World
- All 72 State Parks
At least 5 National Parks
- Visit 5 out of 7 continents (not Antarctica or Australia)
- Move to someplace outside of Minnesota
- See a Broadway Play
- Write my life-story, even if I never publish it
- Do something I enjoy for money in my later years, rather than working a 9 – 5 job just to pay the bills
Go to a horse race
- Take a trip via train
- Take a tour of the White House
Go grape stomping
- Take skiing/snowboarding lessons
Go Whitewater rafting
Hold a snake
Go on the Power Tower or some other ride I’ve been too scared of
Stay in a cabin for a whole weekend during the winter
- Learn a foreign language enough to make small talk at least
- Watch my grand kids graduate/get married
- Drive a motorcycle
- Run for public office – school board, city council, something local
Attend at least one party where I get to wear a gown
- Stay at a ranch and learn how to ride a horse
- Take the girls tubing behind a boat
Learn how to belly dance or something sexy to boost confidence
- Get Lasik
- Go to a Theater/Dinner show
- Fly in a helicopter
- Share a poem/spoken word piece at an Open Mic
- Take a specialty cooking class
Go to a rodeo
I should do as some other bloggers I’ve seen do too – and make a “Reverse Bucket List” – I think it would be cool to take stock in some of the amazing experiences I have already had!